Before the Luskan invasion of Neverwinter in the Year of Wild Magic (340 NR, 1372 DR), the Beggar’s Nest began at Neverdeath and extended east. Utterly destroyed in the war, it was rebuilt first as the much more affluent Merchant’s Quarter. After the Spellplague, more people came to Neverwinter because it offered a safe haven of stability and security, causing the city to extend eastwards. The merchant class built their homes across the river in the River District, making the southeastern quarter of the city once again the home to the city’s poor.
When Mount Hotenow erupted in the Year of Knowledge Unearthed (419 NR, 1451 DR), the ground beneath this part of the city opened up, turning much of it into a seemingly bottomless chasm. Monsters emerge from it regularly, leaving it an uninhabited ruin. The people of Neverwinter constructed the Wall on one side to protect the city core, which later became the Protector’s Enclave, while the Neverwinter River has provided acceptable containment for the northern part of the city.